What is Machine Brows/Microblading/Feather Touch/Cosmetic Tattooing?
Cosmetic tattooing is a semi permanent enhancement made to the face. At Brow Witch we specialise in machine brow services.
At Brow Witch, unless you have the exact skin type, lifestyle and desired outcome for microblading we always suggest a machine brows service as you will find they last much longer, heal more true to what you see in our after shots, cause less trauma on the skin, implant more consistently and have a more natural outcome that looks less like a tattoo and more like your actual eyebrows! The machine equivalent of microblading at Brow Witch is referred to as "Nano Brows" we also offer "Stardust Brows" which heals as a soft powder finish rather than hair strokes for clients who prefer more definition and structure or who have less brow hair to start with and "Combo Brows" for those who like the natural fluffy look of hair strokes at the front and desire more definition in their arch and tails! Combo Brows are our most requested service. Microblading/Feather Touch/ 3D Brows/Eyebrow Embroidery all refer to the same thing.
Microblading is using a hand tool to place very fine hair-like strokes of pigment to make sparse brows full, patchy brows even, or to completely change the shape of the brow. Microblding suits younger clients with normal to dry skin,
The pigments used can be metabolised by the body where as traditional tattoo ink cannot be broken down by the body.
Does cosmetic tattooing hurt?
Pain is subjective and pain threshold levels vary from person to person. This procedure is typically described by our clients as a 'scratchy' feeling and not very painful. It can however set off your sinuses and you may feel the need to sneeze or your eyes may become sensitive.
Topical anaesthetic is applied before and during your appointment, it may lose its intensity for regular smokers. If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, this may affect your pain tolerance.
How old do I have to be to get tattooed?
You must be at least 18 years old to receive a tattoo service at Brow Witch. We do not perform this procedure on minors even with parental permission.
As a precaution, we do not perform cosmetic tattooing if any of the below apply:
• Cancer/Undergoing Cancer treatment (If you are just post treatment please obtain a letter from your Oncologist)
• Botox/Dysport/fillers or skin treatments around the brow/forehead area if done within 2 weeks of your appointment
• Blood thinners
How long does cosmetic tattooing last?
Cosmetic tattoo treatments typically need to be refreshed every year depending on how well your skin retains the pigment. Oily/ruddy/trouble skintypes and excessive bleeder typically need refresh appointments every 6 months with Micrblading and 12 months with Machine Brows. Microblading should last 12 months on those with the right skin types and Machine Brows can last 18 Months to 3 years on the most suitable skins,
Lighter pigment fades faster than dark. Lifestyle factors affect fading, like spending lots of time in the sun. Chemical peels, laser and skin products with acids that comes into contact with the pigmented area will fade your cosmetic tattoo.
Please note that final results cannot be guaranteed as each persons skin type will retains pigment differently and metabolize at different rates. Your adjustment session is important so that we can learn how your skin has retained the pigment and to make any changes.
How many treatments are needed?
Each person heals differently, however a minimum of two sessions is needed which occur at least six weeks apart. If your brows don't heal perfectly after your first appointment, we address this and we can make aesthetic changes ie darker and bolder at the second.
Additional appointments are available, and sometimes necessary, especially for oily skin, trouble skin, congested/ruddy skintypes, excessive bleeders or previously tattooed skin.
PLEASE NOTE: If you already have your brows tattooed, even if faded, please email us clear photos before booking an appointment. Results on such cases cannot be guaranteed and sometimes removal is recommended instead of tattooing over the top. Performing the procedure on brows tattooed by another tech are charged at full price with a $50 fee to cover additional time and product.
What factors will affect my cosmetic tattoo?
- The time it takes for your body’s skin cells to regenerate will affect how the skin retains the pigment. The longer this process takes, the longer the pigment will hold.
- The time it takes for the skin to absorb the pigment will also affect how the skin retains the pigment. The slower the process, the longer the pigment will hold.
- Lighter pigment colours, like blonde, will fade faster than a dark pigment.
- Excessive bleeding during the procedure reduces the amount of pigment absorbed and healing is generally more blurred instead of crisp. It should be noted that substances which cause blood thinning such as alcohol and certain medications should not be consumed prior to or following an appointment.
- Thyroid medication can affect the healing process, resulting in less retention. A third appointment may be necessary in this case, and the brows typically fade faster over time resulting in more frequent brow refreshes.
- The constant exposure of the facial area promotes a faster fade in comparison to covered parts of the body.
- Sun exposure will decrease the appearance of the pigment. Once healed, sun screen is to be applied to the area to reduce the risk of fading.
- Smoking causes faster fading and can hinder the healing process.
What should I do before my eyebrow procedure?
- Wash your hair! You cannot get your eyebrow area wet for 7 days following the procedure, which is fairly easy but a little annoying in the shower, so if you have fresh hair, this will save you some worry for the first couple of days :)
- If you love the way you fill your brows in, or if you love the colour you use, come with your brows filled in and we will take into account the shape (if it fits with our facial measurement rules) and the colour you desire.
- If you love the way your regular brow shaper does your eyebrows, you can get them tidied up to 3 days before your appointment. If you don't particularly love the shape they do, or if you think they may take off too much hair, do not get them shaped and just come in as is. We shape them before the procedure and usually, the more hair there is to work with the better!
- If you plan to go on a holiday, it is recommended to plan your trip a at least 14 days after the procedure. Sun exposure, especially whilst healing, is detrimental to the pigment having good retention. You also shouldn't get them properly wet (ie swimming) for at least 2 weeks.
- Cease taking any blood thinning medications/vitamins 72 hours prior to your appointment. This includes Vitamin E, Aspirin, Niacin, fish oil supplements, and Ibuprofen.
- Do not drink any alcohol the night before and day of your appointment as this thins your blood, and try to avoid having a coffee before your procedure.
- If you have been on Roaccutane, you should wait atleast 6 months after finishing your course before having this procedure done. If you aren't sure, talk to your Dermatologist.
- Avoid sun and tanning bed exposure for 30 days before and after your procedure. If you show up for your appointment with a new tan or a sunburn, you will need to reschedule and will forfeit your deposit. As your skin exfoliates from a sunburn or tan, you will lose the pigment.
How will I look immediately after? What is the healing process?
In the first few days following the procedure, pigment will appear dark and intense and redness and swelling is rare, but might also happen. During the healing process, the pigment will gradually appear lighter in the first week.
How will my cosmetic tattoo look in the future?
To achieve natural looking eyebrows, your artist will analyse your skin type. This can help to predict how the skin will hold the pigment, and will analyse the skin’s undertone to ensure a perfect colour match to your existing eyebrow and hair colour. Five to twelve weeks after your initial procedure, the second session will determine how the skin has responded to the pigment and any alterations can be made if necessary. As mentioned, individual and lifestyle factors will affect how the tattoo will fade but the majority of our client’s tattoos stay true to colour and fade naturally over time. It is recommended that clients return every 6 months – 18 months for a top-up appointment as fading will generally create a lighter and softer look to your eyebrow tattoo.
What should I know about long term care?
Long-term care for your cosmetic tattoo is imperative in sustaining bold pigment. Factors such as individual skin type, pigment colour and lifestyle choices will affect your tattoo in the long term. It should be acknowledged that increased exposure to sun will contribute to a faster pigment fade so sunscreen application after healing is highly recommended. Chemical peels, laser treatments or other medical procedures to the facial area should be cautious of the tattoo area. You must advise your technician as care must be taken around these areas.
Will cosmetic tattooing work well for me?
Microblading will not work well for you if you have oily, congested, ruddy skintypes or if you bleed excessively at your appointment. These skintypes hairstrokes typically heal more blurred and have less retention. We suggest Machine Brows for most of our clients.
Your end result will look more powdered than you might expect, or you may not retain some strokes. These skintypes often metabolise pigments faster and so don't last as long as drier skin types.
If you have little to no existing hair, your tattoo will appear less natural and will not appear as 3D as with clients who have more hair.
If you have patches of missing hair, eyebrow scars or over plucked eyebrows and we will be dramatically correcting the shape/increasing the thickness there may be a visible difference between hair (3D) and tattoo (2D).
Once healed, pencil/makeup may still be required over the tattooed brow shape will help to minimise visible differences between brow hair and tattoo.
If you are a frequent smoker, your pigment may fade sooner.
Iron deficient or anaemic clients should be advised that increased bleeding may occur during the procedure as well as a faster fade of the pigment over time.
Is the studio and equipment safe?
All Brow Witch employees performing cosmetic tattoo have been trained on the foundations of Cosmetic Tattoo with additional advanced training to continue our development and keep up to standard and are fully insured.
Brow Witch adheres to the highest level of hygiene standards with all needles, needle handles and supplies being pre-sterilised and completely disposable. A sterile and safe environment is provided at all times for all clients.
Brow Witch uses a high quality Vegan pigment line that is manufactured in the USA and cleared by Australian standards.
Brow Witch prides itself on providing a safe and quality service for all clients.
Are your services vegan/cruelty free?
Yes! We are vegan/cruelty free! However, we have one product which contains lanolin (this is being phased out). We don't believe in unnecessary waste so this is used on our non-vegan clients. When you make a booking please let us know that you are vegan and we will ensure that this product won't be used.